THE TORAH AND THE WORLD
Lets explore some primary questions and issues concerning Judaism and the relationship of Torah learning and practice to the modern world.
1. What is Jewish Identity?
2. What makes Torah Law unique among Systems of Law?
3. What are those factors which bind Torah and the Jewish People to the Universal Understandings of all men?
4. What are the logical grounds and basic assumptions which underlie all Torah thinking?
5. How can the modern world be seen through the Eyes of the Torah? What could that even mean?
6. How can Halachic Decisions and Jewish thought handed down through the ages facilitate an understanding of proper human values and behaviour in the Modern World?
7. What are the parameters of the Jewish Judge? How is he different from great judges in secular systems of law? How is the personality of the Jewish Judge, the Posek, inextricably intertwined with the Torah?
8. How can Civilization be saved? Will it be The B’nai Noach, men who are not Jews, but who are righteous and upright, and who recognize their responsibility to G-d and to Men? Will they have the strength and wisdom to guide the world and save it from destruction? Can Torah Law become the center of their focus, as they look for guidance in a new world of frightening alternatives? Can modern Halachic Decisors provide a steady framework in a world lacking judicial limits and boundaries ?
9. How will Jewish Civilization remain at the center of Mankind’s journey into the future? Can Torah Law provide insights and understandings which will benefit all men? How can the Jewish People remain unique and at the same time be partners with all of Mankind in striving for the continued survival of the World?
10. What are the limits of Human Thought and Reasoning? How can the idea of limits be explained?
11. How do Rule Following Systems work, in Mathematics, in Games, and in Law. In this context, what are the relevant comparisons between Jewish Law and Secular Law?
12. What can be done about the disregard and sheer scorn that nations and corporations have for law? How can ordinary people effectively deal with the tremendous power of those who have been the chief destroyers of the environment and bio-diversity? Those corporations who use unscrupulous marketing practices in the sale and distribution of Psychiatric Mind Control Drugs? Those corporations who are now threatening the integrity of the food supply and the environment by the use of Genetically Modified Crops? Those corporations who have tampered with and threatened the stability of the U.S. economy through the use of over-leveraged trading instruments following the emasculation of the regulations governing the U.S. and World Banking System?
Many of these issues are explored here and on these related sites:
http://hardball.parkoffletter.org American Constitutional Issues, the misuse of governmental power, and the misuse of corporate wealth. How does misuse of power hurt a country? and how may it be repaired?
http://water.parkoffletter.org All facets of water use in Civilization – water as the basis of civilization and modern problems in water use. Based on Steven Solomon: Water: The Epic Struggle for Wealth, Power, and Civilization.
http://rev.parkoffletter.org The Foundations of Civilization and the events leading to The Industrial Revolution.
http://learning.parkoffletter.org The pathways of learning and modern medical issues in psychiatric drug administration.
http://Dissent.parkoffletter.org The history of dissent and toleration beginning with Giordano Bruno and Galileo down to modern times. Website still in development.
Some articles are in Hebrew.
The English sections of this Website will be a challenge to everyone, Jew and non-Jew, to look at the issues of the day, with a critical eye and a thoughtful heart.